Some information on the Pillings, Shackletons and the Wilkinsons follow. These along with the Emmets were the closest English relatives of the Hartleys. In the two generations of Hartleys which emigrated, there were only two male Hartleys born.
Descendants of Greenwood Pilling

Generation One

1. Greenwood1 Pilling was born circa 1780. He married Nancy Shackleton, daughter of John Shackleton and Mary (--?--), on 2 Jun 1800 at St. Bartholomew's, Colne, Lancashire, England; John Shackleton assumed to be bride's father.1,2 He died on 12 Feb 1804 at Aldersend; Died at age 24 of decline. He was a weaver. John Shackleton, who was a witness is assumed to be the bride's father. Very soon after his marriage, Greenwood was listed as a Weaver. He died on 12 Feb 1804 at Aldersend, Trawden at age 24 of decline. Nancy also died of decline at age 23 at Seghole, Trawden only 7 months after her husband. Her baby Sarah died 2 months later of the same ailment.

Children of Greenwood1 Pilling and Nancy Shackleton were as follows:

The Area South of Trawden
i. John2; born 2 Jul 1800 at Trawden, Lancashire, England.3
2. ii. Mary, born 2 Feb 1802 at Seghole, Trawden, Lancashire, England; married Robert Hartley; married Robert Wilkinson.
iii. Sarah; born circa Jul 1804; died 1 Nov 1804 at Seghole, Trawden; buried 3 Nov 1804. She Died of decline.

The Figure on the right is a detailed map of the area to the South of Trawden. A knowledge of the local names is critical when there are many Hartleys to distinguish from. The Hollin Hall area, where Robert Hartley died would be near the word "Lane" on Lane House Lane. Aldersend, where Greenwood Pilling died would be on the bottom right of the map. Nancy Shackleton Pilling was born at Pasture Spring and died at Seghole to the North of Aldersend. This is also where her baby daughter died and where Mary was born. Mary's son John, was born at Slack Booth (seen on the map on Lane House Lane).

Generation Two

2. Mary2 Pilling (Greenwood1) was born on 2 Feb 1802 at Seghole, Trawden, Lancashire, England.4 She married Robert Hartley, son of James Hartley and Betty Baldwin, on 16 Sep 1830 at St. Bartholomew's Chapel, Colne, England. She married Robert Wilkinson, son of Moses Wilkinson and Jane (--?--), on 15 Sep 1839 at St. Bartholomew's Chapel, Colne, England. She died on 20 Mar 1874 at 23 Austin Street, New Bedford, MA, at age 72. She was buried at Lot 32, Section GG, Oak Grove Cemetery, New Bedford, MA; Her death certificate has as parents Greenwood and Betsy Pilling.

She lived in 1837 at Seg hole, Trawden.5 She and Robert Wilkinson lived in 1851 at 183 Underbank Street, Bacup, Lancashire, England.6

Mary2 Pilling had a son named:

3. i. John3, born 10 Oct 1822 at Slack Booth, Trawden, Lancashire, England; married Margaret Foster. John was baptized as John Hartley the same day as his mother and after the time that Robert Hartley had died. The Hartley name was taken some time previous as was the custom. However, it appears that he changed his name back to Pilling.

Children of Mary2 Pilling and Robert Hartley were as follows:

4. i. Greenwood3, born 25 May 1831 at Trawden, Lancashire, England; married Ann Emmet.
5. ii. Ann, baptized 6 Dec 1835 at St. Bartholomew's Chapel, Colne, England; married Elijah Cockrill.

Children of Mary2 Pilling and Robert Wilkinson were as follows:

6. i. William3, born 5 May 1840 at Trawden, Lancashire, England; married Tamar Barnes; married Jane Rose.
ii. Horsfell; born 1841 at Trawden, Lancashire, England. He Appear to have died young.
iii. Elizabeth; born 1850 at Whalley, Lancashire, England; died 19 Nov 1866 at Section D392, Whitworth, Lancashire, England.7 She May have been a grandaughter of Mary Pilling.

Generation Three

3. John3 Pilling (Mary2, Greenwood1) was born on 10 Oct 1822 at Slack Booth, Trawden, Lancashire, England.8 He married Margaret Foster, daughter of James Foster and Ann Leichmann, on 16 Nov 1859 at New Bedford. He died on 4 Apr 1900 at Union Workhouse, Burnley, England, at age 77.9 He was buried on 7 Apr 1900 at Burnley Cemetery, Burnley, Lancashire, England; Buried at the public expense.

He was also known as John Hartley.10 He Served in the Civil War in the 5th Battery, Massachusetts Volunteer Light Artillery as a private from 9/23/1861 to 10/25/1865. He lived between 1873 and 1874 at 9 Austin Street, New Bedford, MA.11

Children of John3 Pilling and Margaret Foster all born at New Bedford were as follows:

i. Marion Ann4; born 3 Aug 1861; married David Wilkinson, son of David Wilkinson and Mary (--?--), 23 May 1884 at New Bedford, MA;12 died 28 Mar 1949 at 1035 County St., New Bedford, MA, at age 87;13 buried 31 Mar 1949 at Lot 32, Section GG, Oak Grove Cemetery, New Bedford, MA; Owner of Lot: David Wilkinson's heirs (Burial rights).14
7. ii. Abraham L., born 14 May 1865; married Mary Halliwell.
iii. James F.; born 1 Feb 1867.15

John Pilling was baptized in Trawden at the age of 14 as John Hartley. He would have used his stepfather's name even though Robert Hartley had died two years before this time. Two years later he would have a new stepfather, Robert Wilkinson. Soon he would be living with Wilkinson step-siblings, Wilkinson half siblings and Hartley half siblings.

John emigrated to New Bedford and on 16 November 1859 he married Scotland born Margaret Foster. He was 34 and an overseer at the Wamsutta Mills. She was 28 on her wedding day. On 18 August 1860 the couple was living with John Hargrave from England and his Scottish wife Elisabeth and their 3 small children. The Pilling family lived on Purchase Street at the time of the birth of their first child a year later (3 August 1861).

In September he was enlisted in the Fifth Battery Massachusetts Volunteer Light Artillery. He mustered on December 3, 1861 under Captain Max Eppendorf of Saxony. He fought in the Civil War as a Private at Washington, Gettysburg and other locations. He transferred on September 26, 1863 to the Veteran Reserve Corps. He re-enlisted on April 29, 1864. He deserted on Oct. 25, 1865. According to War Department records, "The charge of desertion of Oct. 25/65 against this man is [revoked?] and he is discharged to date Oct 25/65 under the provision of the Act of Congress approved Mch. 2, 1889." When he was discharged, he belonged to Company "I" of the 18th Veteran Reserve Corps.. "The medical records show him treated as follows: … June 24 to 27, 63, Colic returned to duty… July 10 to 14, 63 Rheumatism;… July 9 to Aug 8, 63, Convalescent, returned to duty. Examined for Transfer to Invalid Corps, Aug. 25, 63, Disability, - Injury of back;… Sept. 14 to 18, 65 (no diagnosis) returned to duty. Nothing additional found."

As John Pilling's arrival predated the Wilkinsons and Hartleys, it is likely that he was instrumental in their emigration to New Bedford. In 1869, the New Bedford Directory still had John listed as part of the Massachusetts Battery and gave his address as the rear of the Wamsutta Mills. Soon after that he was back working at the Mill and moved to 9 Ashley Street which starts at the Western end of Austin Street. A few years later he moved to 9 Austin Street. He lived there until about October 6, 1877, when he left his family.

The account of his leaving is told in the New Bedford Evening Standard of Friday August 24, 1877. It gives some insight to local history and details of the Pilling family.

STEPPED OUT - Some 50 workers of the Wamsutta Mills have for some time past been banded together and have purchased groceries of a Providence firm, E. W. Pierce & Co. The association is known as the New Bedford Workingmen's Provision Store, and the plan of operations was for each member to bring an order to the secretary, who ordered the goods of the Providence firm and their members on receiving the goods paid the cost of them and three per cent, additional to cover necessary expenses to the treasurer, who in turn paid the necessary amount to the secretary, and the latter sent it to the Providence firm. This plan has been found to work very well, as goods were obtained at a lower rate, and the money was always promptly paid by the members.

The secretary of the workingmen's association is Mr. Edwin Jones and the treasurer is John Pilling, the latter being a section hand in the weave room of Wamsutta Mill No. 3 and residing at No. 9 Austin street.

Last Saturday the workingmen's association was indebted to Pierce & Co., in the sum of $565 for goods received, and in the evening the secretary met the treasurer by appointment down street, and the latter was to have the money with him to be forwarded by Hatch & Cuts (?) express to Providence in liquidation. At the meeting the treasurer told the secretary that he had not brought the money, as there was an account concerning a barrel of flour purchased the previous month, which he wished to straighten out before remitting. He said he would send the money on Monday and forward the express company's receipt to the secretary.

Monday night Pilling went to the overseer of the room in the mill where he worked and obtained leave of absence. The next forenoon he went down street with his wife and bought two dresses, one for her and one for a daughter. In the afternoon he went away from home, without saying anything about where he intended to go or how long he would be absent. As he did not return at night his wife on Wednesday instituted inquiries and found that the previous afternoon he had purchased a ticket at the Pearl Street Station, but the agent could not remember to what place. Pilling had on his best clothes at the time he went away and took an extra shirt with him, but no other baggage.

Mr. Jones (the secretary of the workingmen's association), not seeing Pilling or the receipt on Tuesday, in the evening called at his house and found that he had stepped out. On Wednesday Mr. Jones went down to the express office, and there found that Pilling had not called at the office or sent any money to Providence.

Pilling borrowed $30 of one of his fellow operatives and a small sum of another, and it is said bought some clothing on credit at a store down town previous to his departure.

John Pilling and Margaret Foster

At an interview with Pilling's wife this morning she professed entire ignorance of his whereabouts, said she could assign no cause for his going away, and added that she did not wish to see him again after the disgrace which he had brought upon her. She said that their relations had always been harmonious and their home happy. Pilling is a sober and temperate man, and, indeed, has been considered one of the apostles of the cause at the North End.

The members of the workingmen's association are in a quandary as to what is to be done about the payment of the indebtedness incurred, not knowing to what an extent they are responsible. A meeting was held last evening, but no action was taken, and Mr. Pierce is expected in the city to-day, when a consultation will be held.

According to subsequent newspaper articles, John Pilling's "decamping" left behind several legal and financial problems. The Figure on the right is now believed to be a picture of John Pilling. The inscribed "Abe Pilling" on the back but it appears by the age of the man and his clothing to be John Piling. The picture could have been taken around 1875 when John was in his 50's.

Mrs. John Pilling is listed as living at 9 Austin Street up until at least 1885. She then moved to Fall River with her son where she lived at 639 Plymouth Avenue. She applied for a military pension in 1897. In a letter to the Pension Office dated Feb. 3, 1898, Margaret states, "…that at the time he left home he was a loom-fixer and was not disabled by disease or injury; that I have disposed of no real estate since Oct. 6, 1897 and that I have no property real, personal or mixed except a small quantity of household furniture and no source of income except what is paid me by one son a laborer, which is sometimes five dollars ($5.-) per week and sometimes four and a half dollars ($4.50) per week and sometimes less." She was initially denied a pension as she had not proved that her husband was deceased. Her lawyer, Nicholas Hatheway, Jr. wrote to the Commissioner of Pensions on July 9, 1900:

Dear Sir,

The application of Margaret Pilling for a pension was rejected Ap. 26th 1898 on the ground that the circumstances under which the soldier left his family about 1877 did not warrant the presumption of his death. Since then Mrs. Pilling has received notice that her husband died in the workhouse in Burnley, Eng. We can show that her husband was working in Cliviger in 1895 and was seen there in 1893 and was then working in a mill there. We can also prove that the John Pilling who was Margaret Pilling's husband and who was seen there in 1893 was the same died in the workhouse in Burnley. Kindly advise me if it is not possible to revive Mrs. Pilling's claim for a pension without filing a new one and also what evidence is required if any in addition to the above. I believe that the claim was complete except the evidence of death.

I enclose the certificate m. received from Eng. Kindly return same to me. The official designation of Mrs. Pilling's claim was Eastern Div. …..

Generation Four

Abe with Hartley Relatives 1921

7. Abraham L.4 Pilling (John3, Mary2, Greenwood1) was born on 14 May 1865 at New Bedford. He married Mary Halliwell, daughter of Abiah Halliwell and Martha _, in 1895 at Fall River. He died on 2 Feb 1925 at Fall River at age 59.

He and Mary Halliwell appeared on the census of 1900 at Palmer Street, Fall River, MA; Lived with the Gilbert Lincoln family.30

Children of Abraham L.4 Pilling and Mary Halliwell were as follows:

i. Alice D.5; born Sep 1896.
ii. Everett L.; born Aug 1898.

Abe was listed as a weaver where he boarded with his mother at 9 Austin Street, New Bedford but moved to Fall River where he married and became a policeman. He was appointed patrolman in 1892 and went on duty in 1893. In 1900, Abe�s mother Margaret was living in Fall River at 639 Plymouth Ave. Abe was in the same City on 478 Palmer Street. The records show he was reprimanded and charged with conduct unbecoming of and officer and intoxication. The charges were not sustained but he was found to be in violation of Rule 22, Section 16 - whatever that means. He was a visitor of the Hartley family in Rochester.


Back to the Index

Back to the Hartley Home Page

Please send e-mail to:
Partially created with The Master Genealogist for Windows on 20 Feb 2000 at 08:25:02.